Is it possible to increase the sustainability of industrial processes while maintaining or increasing the competitiveness of enterprises?
The BIO-MIMETIC project demonstrated the use of renewable resources as a strategic alternative to fossil fuels: different types of biomass have been used as source of lignin
Starting from different biomass sources BIO-MIMETIC was able to obtain homogeneous and constant batches of lignin. Lignin has been transformed in the new bio-polymers thanks to environmentally friendly enzymatic processes developed within the project and involving the enzymes laccases, tyrosinases, lipoxygenases.
By using the new bio-polymers, 4 Household care and beauty care consumer products have been obtained within the project: an Automatic Dishwashing, a Compact Hard Surface Cleaner, a Skin Cream and a Skin Masks. A life cycle assessment has explored the environmental sustainability of the production of the new bio-polymers, and when used in four different consumer products.
Benefits of the Project
BIO-MIMETIC will provide solutions that are environmentally friendly as well as competitive from the environmental and economic points of view:
- reduced CO2 footprint, by replacing fossil feedstock with biomass feedstock
- elimination of toxic/harmful solvents compared to synthetic alternatives;
- reduced energy intensity within safer and cleaner production processes at room temperature, reducing the dependence on fossil energy and reducing the release of greenhouse gases;
- re-use waste from the sheries industry, by combining BIO-MIMETIC polymers.
PNO’s responsibilities within the BIO-MIMETIC project
- PNO helped developing an exploitation plan for the partners within the project.
- PNO led dissemination activities and helped to identify a relevant audience of stakeholders, policy makers, researchers and investors.