This competition has up to £30m to develop innovative healthcare products, technologies and processes. These can include, for example: disease prevention and proactive management of health and chronic conditions earlier, better detection and diagnosis of disease leading to better patient outcomes, and tailored treatments that either change the underlying disease or offer potential cures.
- Competition closes: 07 October 2020, 11am
- Applicants notified: 15 December 2020 (interview invitation),
- Interviews: 4-6 January 2021
- Applicants notified: 12 January 2021
- Project start date: 01 March 2021
Your project must be in scope for one of the two types of award:
Early stage awards: to create a data package that is sufficient to support the testing of your product or process in a clinical setting or other relevant environment.
Late stage awards: to test a well-developed concept and show its effectiveness in a clinical setting or other relevant environment. Projects must build on prior credible research on a product prototype or process, e.g. demonstration or validation in an appropriate model system.
Testing can include:
- experimental evaluation (at laboratory scale);
- use of in vitro and in vivo models to evaluate proof of concept or safety;
- exploring potential production mechanisms;
- product development planning;
- intellectual property protection;
- demonstrating of clinical utility and effectiveness;
- demonstrating of safety and efficacy (including phase 1 and 2 clinical trials);
- regulatory planning.
Projects that are considered too early stage, e.g. basic research, generation of pure scientific and technological knowledge and research ideas that have no practical commercial application, will not be funded.
Projects that are considered too close to market or already in the market, e.g. labelling evaluations, laboratory accreditation, distribution, marketing and post-marketing activity, will also not be funded.
Your project can focus on any health and care sector or discipline.
Innovate UK particularly welcome applications that support innovation in:
- child health technologies;
- innovations that support clinical trials in the UK;
- biomedical innovations that combat the threat of antimicrobial resistance.
Your project must align with one of these innovation areas:
- medical technologies and devices;
- stratified healthcare;
- advanced therapies (gene and cell);
- digital health;
- drug discovery;
- State Aid rules apply – your organisation must be eligible at the time funding is awarded.
- Total eligible costs between £250,000 and £4m.
- Project duration of between 12 months and 36 months.
- Project leads must be a UK-registered SME or RTO, carry out project work in the UK and exploit the results from or in the UK.
For feasibility studies and industrial research projects.
- Micro/small business <70%
- Medium sized business <60%
- Research organisations in your consortium can share up to 50% of the total eligible project costs.
Please contact us for further information on the funding scheme, to discuss a project or how we can support you with an application.
More details and other funding opportunities from Innovate UK can be viewed here.