What is EEF?
EEF is available for Industrial Research and Experimental Development in areas of innovation that can help the UK achieve the 2030 and 2050 low carbon targets or security of supply, such as:
- improved performance characteristics over existing technologies or products
- novel component technologies that can be implemented in existing systems to deliver improved performance or reduced costs of the system
- products, processes or technologies that can reduce the cost of installation or maintenance of existing systems
All proposals must demonstrate value for money, (including cost reduction potential), as well as the size and nature of the business opportunity.
Who is eligible for EEF?
- Projects must have a Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of 3 or above.
- Project status cannot be complete – BEIS is unable to fund retrospective work.
- Applicants need match funding in place to cover the balance of eligible costs.
- Projects must largely be conducted in the UK.
- Total requested grant must be < £1 million, with maximum total project value < £2.5 million.
- Projects must involve energy efficiency and building technologies or power generation and energy storage.
- Projects can last up to 3 years; however financial completion must not exceed 31st March 2021.
- Companies of any size are eligible to seek funding. Applications from SMEs are particularly encouraged. (Successful applicants could receive incubation support in addition to the financial award).
Eligible costs for funding
Funding for Industrial Research is 50-70% of project costs for single companies or 65-80% for such work by collaborations. Experimental Development is 25-45% of project costs for single companies or 40-60% for such work by collaborations putting forward the proposal, but range from 25% to 80%.
Applying for EEF funding
PNO has extensive experience of UK funding competitions with a full understanding of how a project should be presented to stand the highest chance of success. We can help with the qualification of project ideas for alignment against the scheme, a flexible application writing service (depending on the level of input you require), along with guidance throughout the contract negotiation stage. We have a success rate of over 80% for UK managed funding competitions. Our experts would be happy to help you or discuss a project idea. Feel free to contact our office.