UK registered businesses can apply for a share of up to £1 million to develop innovative proposals with Japan and other EUREKA participating members. A portfolio of projects across a variety of technologies, markets, technological maturities and research categories will be funded.
- Competition closes: 10 September 2020, 5pm BST
- Applicants notified: 13 November 2020
- Project start date & duration: 01 March 2021; up to 24 months
Collaborative R&D proposals that must demonstrate:
- a clear game-changing and/or disruptive innovative idea leading to new products, processes or services
- a strong and deliverable business plan that addresses (and documents) market potential and needs
- sound, practical financial plans and timelines
- value for money
- a clear, evidence-based plan to deliver significant economic impact, return on investment (ROI) and growth through commercialisation, as soon as possible after project completion
- clear, considerable potential to significantly benefit the UK economy and/or national productivity
- the benefit of participants from the countries working together and how this adds value
- a clear definitions of where intellectual property (IP) can be used and shared between the participants and countries
- a clear route to market within 2 to 3 years of project completion
This will be aligned with the priorities of participating EUREKA members.
Projects that will not be funded
- are in the nuclear or pharmaceutical sector
- have non-civilian applications
- do not include at least one UK registered SME and one Japanese registered business
- do not meet Innovate UK’s eligibility criteria
- do not submit all mandatory documentation
- Collaboration must include at least 2 businesses that are independent of each other: one business registered in Japan plus a UK business. Can include businesses from EUREKA members (Canada/Czech Republic/France/Germany/Israel/Spain)
- Total eligible UK project costs between £100,000-£1M
- State aid funding rules apply
For Industrial Research (TRL 3-5) projects.
- Micro/small business <70%
- Medium sized business <60%
- Large business <50%
Research organisations collaborating as part of your consortium can share up to 30% of the UK total eligible project costs. (This maximum is to be shared between all participating research organisations).
Please contact us for further information on the funding scheme, to discuss a project or how we can support you with an application.
More details and other funding opportunities from Innovate UK can be viewed here.