Competition closes: 08 September 2021, 11am
Applicants notified: 01 October 2021 (invite to interview); 25 October
Project start date & duration: from January 2022, between 12 and 36 months
- Your project must primarily address one or more of the UK Plastic Pact Targets
- Your new approach must be quantified in terms of the Pact targets and by comparison to the current system or dominant solutions.
- Any environmental impacts must be described and justified.
- the minimising or reduction of plastic packaging
- packaging suitable for reuse, refill and online delivery
- sustainable solutions for film and flexibles
- food grade recycled polypropylene and polyethylene
- behaviour change leading to less packaging waste or higher recycling rates
- solutions for problematic or unnecessary single use plastic packaging items
This list is not intended to be exhaustive; ambitious projects are sought.
Projects that will not be funded
- are detrimental to the environment compared with existing solutions
- encourage or facilitate the export of plastic packaging whilst still classified as waste
- are primarily concerned with the production of any kind of fuel or direct energy generation from plastic waste
- develop materials or packaging which will not have commercially available and viable UK recycling (or appropriate organic waste treatment) infrastructure in place by 2025
- relate to the recycling of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or polystyrene, including expanded polystyrene (EPS) and high impact polystyrene (HIPS)
- do not focus on packaging for consumer products
- are dependent on export performance or are dependent
- Subsidy Control funding rules apply
- Project must be led by a UK business of any size and collaborators must be UK based organisations
- R&D work must be carried out in the UK and project results exploited from UK.
- Subcontractors can be from UK/overseas, with costs justified and appropriate to the total eligible project costs.
- Total eligible project costs between £200,000 and £4M (£7M pot).
- Funding rates are dependent on company size and project maturity as follows:
Industrial research (TRL 3-5)
- Micro/small business <70%
- Medium sized business <60%
- Large business <50%
Experimental development (TRL 6-7)
- Micro/small business <45%
- Medium sized business <35%
- Large business <25%
- Research organisations in your consortium can share up to 30% of the total eligible project costs.