Project title: GaN densily integrated with Si-CMOS for reliable, cost effective high frequency power delivery systems
Funding programme: Horizon 2020
Overview of the GaNonCMOS project
Power electronics is the key technology to control the flow of electrical energy between source and load for a wide variety of applications from the GWs in energy transmission lines, the MWs in datacenters that power the internet to the mWs in mobile phones. Wide band gap semiconductors such as GaN use their capability to operate at higher voltages, temperatures, and switching frequencies with greater efficiencies.
The GaNonCMOS project aims to bring GaN power electronic materials, devices and systems to the next level of maturity by providing the most densely integrated materials to date. This development will drive a new generation of densely integrated power electronics and pave the way toward low cost, highly reliable systems for energy intensive applications.
The overall objective of the project is to develop novel low cost and reliable GaN-based process, components, modules and integration schemes, and demonstrate their performance and economic potential on system level for significant energy reduction in a wide range of energy intensive applications.
The GaNonCMOS project aims to bring GaN power electronic systems to the next level of maturity by providing the most densely integrated systems to date. The key innovations steps are:
- Integrate GaN power switches with CMOS drivers densely together using 3 different integration schemes (see Fig.1) from the package level up to the chip level using wafer-bonding between GaN on Si(111) and CMOS on Si (100) wafers.
- Optimize the GaN materials stack and device layout to enable fabrication of normally-off devices for such low temperature integration processes (max 400oC).
- Develop new soft magnetic core materials reaching switching frequencies up to 300 MHz with ultralow power losses to be integrated at different levels.
- New materials and methods for miniaturized packages to allow GaN devices, modules and systems to operate under maximum speed and energy efficiency.
- Long term reliability improvements over the full value chain of materials, devices, modules and systems with consortium partners that cover the entire value chain.
Our involvement in the GaNonCMOS project
PNO Innovation is a key contributor to the Work Package on dissemination and exploitation activities.