Project title: Materials solutions for cost reduction and extended service life on wind off-shore facilities
Funding programme: Horizon 2020
Overview of the MAREWIND project
Wind energy is expected to provide the largest contribution to the renewable energy targets for 2030. MAREWIND will provide advanced durable materials and recyclable solutions which reduce materials use contributing to the European Union’s climate goals. Advanced materials and nanotechnologies developed will contribute to accelerating clean energy to maintain Europe in the lead position of this sector critical for the energy transition. Furthermore, MAREWIND solution will improve the offshore wind energy sector, extend the service life of the wind facilities, as well as boost economic growth and create new job opportunities across Europe.
Objectives of the project
MAREWIND targets the main aspects related to materials durability and maintenance in offshore structures which consequently imply failures, misfunctioning, loss of efficiency in energy generation and which have a major repercussion on O&M and CAPEX.
With the combined forces of key-players in the current value chain of wind energy and offshore structures, MAREWIND covers a set of ambitious targets focused on:
- Enhancing corrosion protection systems and durability,
- Effective and durable antifouling solutions without using biocides,
- Erosion protection and mechanical reinforcement of wind blades,
- Predictive modelling and monitoring,
- Increasing recyclability.
These 5 objectives are to be developed considering 3 main pillars addressing all those aspects related to:
- Scalable manufacturing technologies and easy to repair solutions,
- Safer-by-design materials avoiding environmental concerns and ocean impacts,
- Standardisation aspects for effective European deployment of marketable and usable technologies.
Our involvement in the MAREWIND project
PNO Innovation leads the Work Package related to exploitation of results. Its tasks cover value chain stakeholders analysis, to identify and engage relevant stakeholders for further exploitation activities, as well as market and business analysis to support the consortium into bringing the Key Exploitable Results closer to the market.