INNOVATION FUND, THE NEXT NER300 PROGRAMME?
The Innovation Fund, it’s 10 billion of euros dedicated for demonstration of innovative low-carbon technologies. This instrument is born with the EU’s economy-wide commitments under the Paris Agreement and in order to support the European Commission’s strategic vision of a climate neutral Europe by 2050.
Innovation Fund want to see bigger and higher than the NER300 programme, and for this has drew 3 objectives:
- Help create the right financial incentives for projects to invest in the next generation of technologies
- Boost growth and competitiveness by empowering EU companies with a first-of-a-kind advantage to become global technology leaders
- Support innovative low-carbon technologies in all Member States in taking off and reaching the market
Innovation Fund will target highly innovative technologies and big flagship projects with European value added that can bring on significant emission reductions.
The climate in several sectors is concerned by this instrument, the thematise of the calls will be focused on:
- Renewable energy
- Carbon Capture Use and Storage (CCUS)
- Energy-intensive industries including substitute products
- Energy Storage
Application & funding
The application process has 2 phases. First, the expression of interest is focused on the project effectiveness, innovation and maturity level. Second, the full application which is focused on criteria.
The main criteria for the Innovation Fund calls are:
- Greenhouse gas emissions avoidance
- Degree of innovation
- Project viability and maturity
- Cost efficiency
Once the project has successfully won the call, the funding will take the form of grants.
For the moment the first calls are in preparation with industry workshops and public consultation. The first calls must be published on the middle of 2020.
INNOVATION FUND COMPLEMENTARITIES, A LONG TERM-STRATEGY
Innovation Fund take part of a thoughtful and long-term strategy of the EU states for 2050. The Innovation Fund complementarities covers the full cycle of the Innovation with several programmes and partnerships:
- Research including Horizon Europe and Partnerships
- First-of-a-kind including Innovation Fund
- Infrastructure including Connecting Europe Facility, Modernisation and cohesion funding
Do you want to know more about the future call? Are you interested in submitting your project? Contact our experts and we will get in touch with you.