Project title: Innovative high performance Alloys and Coatings for HIghly EFficient intensive energy processes
Funding programme: Horizon 2020
Action type: Research & Innovation Action (RIA)
Duration: 01/10/2020 – 31/03/2024
Overview of the ACHIEF project
Energy Intensive Industries have to contribute to the European Action plan on energy efficiency by saving 20% of primary energy. ACHIEF will help in the implementation of the future Energy Intensive Industrial sector: more efficient and sustainable than the actual one.
From theoretical parameters and requirements, a novel Integrated Artificial Intelligence aided Materials Toolbox will propose innovative and adapted high performance materials and protective coatings.
First, the virtually designed materials will be developed at small scale in laboratories. The specific partners will find optimum process parameters and will do a selection of the most efficient solutions among those proposed by the artificial intelligence.
Within ACHIEF we have the ambition to produce four types new materials:
- WPDC coatings with improved high temperature corrosion and erosion resistance.
- Advanced Cr-steels grade with 15% improved creep resistance and higher temperature corrosion resistance.
- Innovative high temperature and creep resistance materials based on HESAs models
- High performance coatings based on HEA-nanocomposites.
1) Improve energy efficiency by 30%
The aim of ACHIEF is to reduce the overall consumption of process energy by using new high performance materials and protective coatings. They will enable reducing heat losses due to cooling of materials components and equipment fabricated with traditional materials, without compromising the overall performance of the production process and the final quality of the products.
2) Reduction of CO2 emissions by 20%
Emissions reduction will be mainly a consequence of the lower energy consumption at the processes and, to a less extent, gas release in pipelines of Tüpras plant. Thus, CO2 reductions in ACHIEF will be attained thanks to:
- the less fuel consumed to heat the steel slabs at the tunnel furnace in the steel used and the boiler steam generator in the Turkish refinery,
- the reduction of heat losses at the casting line and the rolling mill processes at Constellium site.
3) Increase lifetime equipment of more than 20%
High performance materials and coatings solutions developed in ACHIEF will significantly impact the lifetime of equipment and components used in production processes of EIIs. Improved high-temperature strength, wear, creep and corrosion resistance materials developed in ACHIEF will enable extend the service life of industrial components by more than 30% in average compared to currently employed materials solutions.
Our involvement in the ACHIEF project
PNO Innovation leads the Work Package on Dissemination and Communication activities, including the organization of knowledge transfer and training activities throughout the project.